Influenza Virus Net is the web resource for anyone interested in influenza and flu pandemics. Influenza, commonly referred to as the flu, is an infectious disease caused by RNA viruses of the family Orthomyxoviridae (the influenza viruses), that affects humans, birds and other mammals. The virus spreads easily from person to person. Influenza circulates worldwide and can affect anybody in any age group. Influenza causes annual epidemics that peak during winter in temperate regions. Influenza is a serious public health problem that causes severe illnesses and deaths for higher risk populations. The most common symptoms of the disease are chills, fever, sore throat, muscle pains, severe headache, coughing, weakness/fatigue and general discomfort. Sore throat, fever and coughs are the most frequent symptoms. In more serious cases, influenza causes pneumonia, which can be fatal, particularly for the young and the elderly. An influenza epidemic can take an economic toll through lost workforce productivity, and strain health services. Vaccination is the most effective way to prevent infection.
The objectives of Influenza Virus Net are to be the public and professional information resource for influenza and to serve as a network in the exchange of information and news related to influenza.
- Animal hospital offers vaccines after local canine influenza case confirmed
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 02:18 GMT
- Pfizer and BioNTech Collaborate to Develop mRNA-Based Influenza Vaccines
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 14:49 GMT
- Canine Influenza H3N2 in Michigan
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 20:58 GMT
- Data From Novel Influenza Surveillance Systems Can Complement Traditional Healthcare-Based Systems
Wed, 15 Aug 2018 16:21 GMT
- Ronaldo discharged from hospital after 'bad case of influenza'
Tue, 14 Aug 2018 18:24 GMT
- A season of influenza and influence: How World War I and a pandemic in 1918 changed college football forever
Tue, 14 Aug 2018 12:11 GMT
- Benralizumab does not impair antibody response to seasonal influenza vaccination in adolescent and young adult ...
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 01:54 GMT
- Signs of hope emerge against influenza
Wed, 8 Aug 2018 10:37 GMT
- Neuraminidase-Inhibiting Antibody Titers Correlate with Protection from Heterologous Influenza Virus Strains of the ...
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 15:44 GMT
- But health experts warn against complacency, as the official flu season still has at least a month to run.
Fri, 17 Aug 2018 05:07 GMT
- Influenza A virus found in two people following exposure to infected pig
Thu, 9 Aug 2018 22:30 GMT
- Ingham County Animal Control Warns Of Canine Influenza Spread
Wed, 15 Aug 2018 21:57 GMT
- The ghost of influenza past and the hunt for a universal vaccine
Wed, 8 Aug 2018 10:33 GMT
- Canine influenza in Michigan: 5 things you need to know
Thu, 2 Aug 2018 21:00 GMT
- 50 Million Flu Shots Shipped To Prevent Influenza During 2018
Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:46 GMT
- PRO/AH/EDR> Influenza (24): USA (MI,CA) swine origin H1N2v, fair, conf
Thu, 16 Aug 2018 11:09:18 -0400
Influenza -- United States
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is reporting that influenza A (H1N2)v has been identified as the strain that sickened 2 attendees of the Fowlerville Family Fair following exposure to swine. Respiratory samples from ill individuals were sent to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) for additional testing, after initially testing positive for influenza A at the MDHHS Laboratory last week [week of 30 Jul 2018]. This H1N2v strain is similar to the